SPEEA Professional and Technical members who are eligible can apply to represent their bargaining unit in contract negotiations with The Boeing Company.
The Negotiation Team Nominating Committee will interview applicants and present a slate of nominees. The Bargaining Unit Council Reps (Professional Unit and Technical Unit) will vote for their respective negotiation team members and alternate(s).
SPEEA Northwest Policy outlines the process for eligibility and nominations. See excerpts from this section of the governing documents below (in italics).
|| (Northwest Policy Manual, Section VIII, Subsection C, #3)
Minimum eligibility guidelines for nomination and election of SPEEA members to the Negotiation Team shall be as follows:
- Regular SPEEA membership for the immediate past three years.
- At least two years of active SPEEA participation in the immediate past three years, including
committee member, Area Representative, Council Representative, and/or Executive Board member.
- No member of the Tellers Committee or Judicial Review Committee may serve concurrently on the Negotiation Team.
- Completion of and full participation in negotiations seminars (candidate orientation) and interviews.
- Written commitment to:
- Participate in further negotiation training sessions.
- Take time off during scheduled working hours for negotiations.
- Work any contract area.
- Abide by the Team rules.
If desired by a Bargaining Unit Council, nominations may be made from the floor at the meeting. However, only someone who has applied on time and met the minimum guidelines specified above, as verified by the Nominating Committee, may be so nominated.
The elected teams receive additional training and work extensively with SPEEA staff to prepare for and conduct negotiations. Prof and Tech contracts expire Oct. 6, 2016.