This federal program is available as a direct result of a successful petition supported by SPEEA, IFPTE Local 2001, and the International Association of Machinists (IAM), District 751, on behalf of represented employees at The Boeing Company in Washington State to the U.S. Department of Labor. It provides:
- Job Search Assistance
- Out-of-area job search allowances
- Relocation allowance Training
- Extended income support
- Wage subsidies for workers age 50 or older
To get started, see an overview at www.speea.org (drop-down menu for Member Tools/Layoff Information).
This is also a federal program under the U.S. Department of Labor.
Started in 1998, it provides employment and training services to individuals and helps employers find skilled workers, including:
- Job search and placement assistance
- Counseling and career planning
- Training services - including both occupational and basic skills
- Access to support services (case-by-case basis)
To get started, go to www.dol.gov (see Workforce Investment Act).
This statewide program through the Community and Technical Colleges (CTC) serves jobless workers or workers with layoff notices who need to change careers or update skills in order to re-enter the workforce. The program offers:
- Help for training expenses at Washington’s community and technical colleges and select licensed private schools
- Funding to improve programs that prepare people for work
- Advisers to help the Worker Retraining students and
coordinate Worker Retraining programs
To learn more, go to the website for the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges at www.sbctc.ctc.edu and search for Worker Retraining.
Are you working at Boeing and holding a WARN (60-day notice of layoff) or just want to consider other options? Ed Wells can help with classes (see sample of courses below) and also career coaching and consulting. This is a contract benefit for all SPEEA-represented employees currently at Boeing.
- I got the job I interviewed for and start this Friday so I am no longer being laid off - a lot of thanks to you for the coaching session.
- In my life, I’ve had the fortune to have formally interviewed only once, for an internship nine years ago which became my current job. As a result, much of your presentation was new material for me, and I learned a lot.
- Thanks for your help in the resume workshop and editing my resume. I just got a position!
- Resume writing
- 'Winning Resumes'
- 'Interview Success'
- 'Acing the Interview'
- 'Job Interviews/Rules
of the Road' webinars
- 'Over 40 and You’re
This is provided by International Coach Federation (ICF)-certified coaches and can take between three and six months. Meetings are conducted mainly virtually with some face-to-face. These coaching services are free and confidential.
This is a short-term process that can help with how to pursue a particular career path, for example. Consultation is usually one to three meetings with a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in an advising role. You can meet face-to-face or virtually.
Find out more about Ed Wells Partnership at edwells.web.boeing.com. The site features an online course catalogue and a link to job-search resources provided by Ed Wells.