TO: SPEEA Council
FROM: SPEEA Council Officers.
SUBJECT: PRE-SUBMITTED NEW BUSINESS: CESO (Council of Engineers & Scientists Organizations) reports to SPEEA council.
In the June (2010) SPEEA Council meeting a motion was passed on CESO per – capita payments. There were a number of questions about CESO, Costs of Motion to SPEEA, and CESO membership numbers of groups that belong to CESO. The SPEEA Council Officers received requests for answers to questions raised during the debate that people felt were not answered, and also were not clear on the CESO website.
Since the SPEEA council is responsible for CESO issues and costs, it is important for the SPEEA Council to have clear reports on CESO budget items and membership levels.
Since the June Council meeting, the SPEEA Council Officers have found out that at the June SPEEA Council meeting that some CESO reps for SPEEA knew that the January 2011 CESO meeting had been discussed at CESO and was likely to be cancelled.
SPEEA Policy Manual Section VII: Subsection D: Outside Organizations CESO
Membership in the Council of Engineers and Scientists Organizations (CESO) was authorized by the SPEEA Executive Board in the late 1960's and rescinded by the SPEEA Council in June 1975. Membership in CESO was re-authorized by the Council in April 1978. The Wichita Engineering Association (WEA) joined CESO in 1980’s and maintained that membership when WEA became the SPEEA Wichita Engineering Unit (WEU) in 1995. The Wichita Technical Professional Unit (WTPU) became a CESO unit in 2000. CESO allowed the Irving Bargaining
Unit and WTPU to be jointly represented by the WTPU delegate in 2003.
1. Each SPEEA CESO Unit has been defined by CESO as:
a. SPEEA CESO Professional, Technical, and
b. SPEEA CESO WEU
c. SPEEA CESO WTPU and Irving
2. Each Bargaining Unit that joins SPEEA may petition CESO for membership. The SPEEA Council shall budget for all CESO dues and SPEEA Council authorized CESO expenses.
3. Each SPEEA CESO unit shall elect a CESO delegate and may request budget for additional representatives who may participate but will not have voting rights.
4. In September of even years, CESO holds an election for each position of its Executive Committee. The Executive Committee is comprised of five officers and up to three members-at-large. It is the intent of the SPEEA Council for SPEEA to be represented on the CESO Executive Committee. The selection of a SPEEA candidate for the CESO Executive Committee shall be accomplished as follows:
a. At a Special SPEEA Council meeting, the SPEEA Council shall elect one candidate from the regional councils elected delegates that SPEEA’s CESO delegates shall recommend to the CESO Executive Committee at the September CESO meeting.
b. If the SPEEA candidate does not make the slate of recommended CESO Executive Committee members, the CESO delegates shall nominate that candidate at the CESO election meeting.
5. If a vacancy occurs in the position of the SPEEA representative on the CESO Executive Committee during the term of office, the CESO delegates should recommend to CESO the candidate with the next highest vote in the prior selection of the SPEEA representative.
6. The SPEEA CESO delegates shall not approve any CESO budget where the dues income from any SPEEA CESO units exceeds 50% of the CESO annual dues income.
It is moved that: The SPEEA Council approves THE SPEEA CESO (Council of Engineers & Scientists Organization) DELEGATES SHALL REPORT TO THE SPEEA COUNCIL FOLLOWING EACH CESO MEETING. THESE REPORTS SHALL INCLUDE AT A MINIMUM MEMBERSHIP NUMBERS FOR ALL CESO UNITS, FINANCIAL BUDGET AND BALANCES, AND ANY NOTICE OF CANCELLATION OF FUTURE MEETINGS. FURTHER, THIS POLICY SHALL BE INCORPORATED INTO THE SPEEA POLICY MANUAL.